You need to fulfill the 4 criteria listed below.

On this website look up to the top line of this page, just under the miners - and go to Subscription Information and click it.   If you are not a member on the right hand side you will read Join Now, where you fill out your form submit it and then through subscriptions using your email address make a payment for what subscriptions you want.  The same email can not be used by two individuals, both require a separate email.   If you are a member, the Subscription page tells you exactly where to click to go ahead and make payment.  If you are renewing, it is YOUR responsibility at all times to keep all things current on your Group Spaces File, so access it and change the information, pay particular attention to your FMC Expiry Date.



3. All Panners MUST  Report Hours Worked On Club Claims and photos to support their work.

4.  Membership subject to our regulations; and can and will be forfeited at anytime.

Fee Schedule $80.00 for Membership / $30.00 for Panners Fee Associate Members (Under 19 with an adult are 1/2 this price.

Payments will only be accepted via PayPal, there will no longer be cheques or cash taken.  No information comes to us, just the Fee involved, and who sent it.  In the case of one family member paying for more than one person, it is important to do a transaction for each person.

When you are applying for a membership, we take our membership seriously therefore read below:


The Vancouver Island Placer Miner's Association (VIPMA) was founded July 16, 1997 with 12 members. Today VIPMA averages around 100 members and the club is split, half being claim owners and the other half being members with Panning Licenses actively mining in groups on club owned Placer Claims. The Club retains five claims, maintained by the Association making Placer Mining available to it's mining membership on a recreational basis. The 3 claims on Timber West lands, the Sooke River Claim and the Sombrio Claim are under Donna Chaytor and Kelly Wagner as co-owners; they are held in trust by these two people for VIPMA, as Executive Members.  Only executive members can hold these claims in trust.    Members without purchasing panning licenses are not to be on these claims.  All panners who access any of the these claims have a responsibility to file a work report available online.  Those who go as a work crew with the Mine Manager or the appointed agent or host, that person will fill the form,   These hours must be reported. Claims annually require a SOW filed and must work with the owners of the claim to be appointed as an agent.  If individuals go to these claims without previous contact with Kelly Wagner or Donna Chaytor, then you are doing so illegally as you must be part of a crew or an appointed agent.  Failing to do so, affects your social license, and can lead to cancellation of your membership.  The Mine Manager or appointed agent always has the last word, his decision rules, on all outings. Watch out for each other at all times, be ready to help, as it is a group effort. Last but not least remember Placer Miners and members of the association are good stewards of the land, take out all waste, do not leave anything and that includes cigarette butts.  In high fire season, note that SMOKING IS NOT ALLOWED ON THE CLAIMS EVEN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RIVER.

Choose beforehand if you want a Panner's License and apply for it with your membership. If you do not have a claim you will want a Panner's License to go on outings. Many members with claims retain a panner's license as they also like to go to the club claims. Timber West has changed the rules, all who wish to mine on the claims on TW Lands held in trust for VIPMA by Kelly Wagner and Donna Chaytor must work with both to see if they can be appointed as agents or as crew to work the lands.  The Mine Managers will approve the process, according to Mining Law.

Section 19 will be taken care of for the claims in Timber West by those whose names are on the claims. Note Section 19 below:  This does not apply to newly acquired tenures.

The agent will be required to fill out the report forms for the crew what section of the claim and how many hours, a photo or two is also required. If you vary from an agent and are approved to be an agent you are responsible for filing your work time.   As you are promoting your own social license as a miner, it is your responsibility to live up to being a good steward of the land and a member with integrity do not leave garbage, do not leave huge holes for people to fall into, do not mine above the high water mark but have an awesome time, as it is an incredible out door recreation.,

Filing Hours

On the website there is an area to upload your claim hours, it's relatively very simple, please attach a photo or two, it's nice to have them when filing the SOW. 


2016:  All memberships will be done online, it is your responsibility to fill out Group Spaces.  You will receive an email in late February for payment of your membership.  You can choose Paypal and get a 24 hour turn around on your membership.  No cash and no cheques will be accepted this year.  For those who don't have a credit card, you can purchase one at the post office for the value of what you need to do the transaction.  Remember PayPal has a fee, and there will be two fees for two transactions, so check where you buy your prepaid credit card, what the charge is per transaction.  This will alleviate the many lists that were done by hand, and will use one Central Data Base for several things. For those who are challenged please contact Donna, she will help you out

On the Leglislation Page are all the links for everything you require, however do note the following:

Service BC Sites for Victoria - Duncan and Nanaimo can be found at:

it will give you the locations, do remember to get a Free Miners you also need your BCEID first.

Free Miners Online (Renewal)

You must enter your Free Miners License as once issued to you it is yours for life to renew online also you must have your BCEID.

Please do not apply online for a VIPMA membership without having your Free Miners or  if you have not gone to  meeting, it will be considered a donation, thank you.

It is the intent of VIPMA to ensure the club has members actively pursuing and supporting the Placer Mining Industry.

By signing for membership and a panner's license you are agreeing to report any and all hours worked on any of the Wagner/Chaytor Claims held in trust for VIPMA.  This has been in effect since the beginning of the club, nothing has changed; we are required by law to do a SOW on each claim, and this is your responsibility as a miner with a panning license accessing club claims to report your hours. If you refuse, you will lose your right to Pan, if you still don't comply you will be warned, and if not compliant you will lose your membership


Miners - who own claims usually only buy membership, and then they submit to the land owner a Section 19 - Notice to Land Owner of Right to Enter Lands - Once sent it takes the land owner 4 - 8 weeks to process the application.

Throughout the Province of British Columbia sluicing in streams is NOT ALLOWED.


PLEASE NOTE:   Timber West does not answer mining questions.

I inquired as to the Section 19's, as some people are receiving them, this was her answer since members of VIPMA who do own claims with TimberWest Dianna Lau has advised for 2016:



To make it easier for both us and the Free Miner.  The only requirement is to renew your Free Miner Certificate on time.  If that is not done we will advise that you haven’t and request your key back in 10 days.  If you renew your FMC on time we will send out the paperwork.  If you are accessing a new claim or have changed your claims (as per the Act) you will only need to send in a new Section 19 Notice.

Hope that makes sense.


SECTION 19 Here is a link for you to the landowner notification. Here is a link to the form. SECTION 19

CRD for miners who have claims please contact for Nathan Boyne's email, it is only to be given out to CRD Miners. There will be a CRD / Orientation at the January Meeting for the CRD Members after the regular meeting.

INSURANCE:  The insurance that is taken out by the club to access the forested areas of land is absolutely necessary.  This insurance is not for any other purpose than protecting the landowner, that if per chance any VIPMA member is the cause of the fire, we are insured.    This insurance is valid throughout British Columbia; so if you are being adventuresome and mining in different areas on the mainland, holding a membership with VIPMA you are covered for liability.  At present you are covered - as soon as membership opens in February it is suggested all CRD members purchase their membership; so all members are good for the 2017/18 year.  CRD has access to our membership list as does TimberWest:  it is your diligence that is required to renew your FMC and to get on to your Group Spaces account and change the date of your FMC, failure to do this can result in a cancellation of your land use permit.  All memberships are to be bought online - there will be no check collecting at meetings, or cash.

Note:  As members and as an individual accessing any claim you have no legal right to sue the club for any injury sustained.  As a member of the club you can not sue yourself.   Any other person who is on a Placer Claim to which they do not have title to and they injure themselves, as we are not the landowner, they as such can not lay claim on the tenure holder. 

NOTE:  VIPMA members pool our own resources, we are member funded, and the INSURANCE we purchase is required by Timber West and the CRD only covers members of VIPMA that are involved in Placer Mining only - not hard rock and mineral claims.  If you are taking other people with you, and TW and CRD so decides to let you take others to your claim be aware they are NOT covered by the VIPMA insurance.  We are liable for no one other than a member, the insurance company will only pay for paid members of VIPMA.  Our suggestion is that if you wish to take someone with you, they should purchase a membership, as they will not be covered under the VIPMA policy, and CRD nor TimberWest nor any other private land owner cannot hold us liable for anyone other than a paid PLACER member of VIPMA.

Directors' Insurance 

Directors and Executive Officers have a duty to exercise due diligence in overseeing the managment of the organization that they SERVE. This involves 3 basic duties:

  1. Duty of Diligence (Duty of Care) Act reasonably, in good faith and in the "ORGANIZATIONS" best interest.
  2. Duty of Loyalty:  Place the interest of the organization before your own.
  3. Duty of Obedience:  Act within the scope of applicable bylaws.

The responsibilities of individuals serving on a non-profit board of directors ar similar to those of directors of for-profit companies. However, non-profit organizations especially those that are self funded (do not gain money from government sources - or solicit for funds) have limited resources to indemnify directors and officers or respond to expensive litigation, settlements or damage awards.  Where no indeminification or only partial indemnification is available, the personal assets of directors and officers are at risk, a well as those of the entity itself.  Directors and Officrs liability coverage is a "Critical" component of the overall insurance protection package that no non-profit organization should forego, particularly if it wants to attract and retain "qualified" and motivated directors and officers.

Please go to our Membership Application Button on the Home Page Above the Miner, to make application. 

CRD now requires all who enter the Water Shed to have a VHF Radio.  Here is the application form for a Radio License


The license is issued by:


Address: 1230 Government St #430, Victoria, BC V8W 3X9

Phone(250) 363-3803

ProvinceBritish Columbia

We know by the letter below and the meeting last night that we require a radio license for the radio that we are going to be using  It was stated very clearly no knock off programmable radios are accepted as they use up the band width for the CRD, and their Radio Person, does not want that band width stolen.  CRD owns it – apparently.

Regarding the radio – you email  Nathan Boyne and get permission to have your radio programmed.

You take it to Radio Works and they will program it for a fee and also help you apply for a fee of course for your radio license.  My understanding is it is very difficult to get through to Industry Canada.  I understand CRD allows miners access to Channel 4.

Yes you can have another person's VHF radio that can transmit, receive and has our authorized programmed channel. I still require proof of that radio.  This being stated by Nathan if several of you mine together all of the time, then I believe one radio is sufficient to be recorded with CRD by both or three or how many users but they do have to be identified.  Some claims are duly owned, as such one radio between two is suffice.

Further, the CRD requires that all additional persons entering the Water Supply Area be identified and have the required insurance.

If you want at the same time to have a TW Logging Channel, contact Patty Pearce at   to get permission for use of their channel.

Timber West Channels sent in by a member:

TW radio frequencies for 2016 south island road channel 153.110  tx/rx tone203.5  unless otherwise posted  north island monitors the haul channel 158.430.

Timber West will want all your claim numbers  proof of a valid FMC  require you to sign their contract  and charge you five hundred dollars for the gate key  which presumably you already have.

 If you wish further discussion amongst each other please use the forum.

All new applicants, please ensure you go to a meeting first and do have your Free Miner's Certificate.

Patience Is Golden.                                                                                      


537 Glencairn Lane Colwood, BC : Meetings Only 
2nd Wed Monthly 7:30PM Mail: 2702 Sooke Road 
Victoria , BC V9B1Y7



171.65Kb   View   Download


Powered by GroupSpaces · Terms · Privacy Policy · Cookie Use · Create Your Own Group